This special feature showcases 1si’s non-profit members. Spotlighting members from across the community, 1si’s Non-Profit Member Spotlight reflects the variety of our membership. If you would like to be featured in this section, contact Connie Mudd at ConnieM@1si.org.
Christian Academy of Indiana
1000 Academy Drive
New Albany, Indiana 47150
Business Phone: 812.944.6200
Contact Person: Darin Long
Contact Title: Middle and High School Principal
Contact Email: Dlong@caschools.us
Please use 300 words or less to describe your agency and your impact in the community.
Christian Academy of Indiana offers an exceptional education based on a Biblical Worldview to students from preschool through 12th grade. Internally, we provide an opportunity for students to develop a passion to serve God and others by developing their academic, spiritual, service and talent gifts to their fullest. Students have the opportunity to grow their perspective of their role in the community and the world through championship sports teams, nationally recognized performing and visual arts programs, STEM programs starting in Kindergarten through 12th grade offered by Project Lead the Way (one the nation’s premier science programs) and local and international mission projects. Externally, we serve the community by providing this education in an affordable and comprehensive manner and by sharing these gifts through service and ministries. We also have been blessed with an opportunity to help our community grow by attracting new families who are looking for quality Christian education. New families may be interested to know that Christian Academy is one of only five Christian schools in the country to receive the initial “Exceptional Accreditation” designation by the Association of Christian Schools International. 95% of our graduates attend a public, private or Christian college after graduation. The class of 2018 also received over $2.7 million in college scholarships. Over 60% of our students receive tuition assistance, making quality Christian education available to more Indiana families.
Agency Mission Statement or Description:
The mission of Christian Academy of Indiana is to develop students with a heart for God who grow as Jesus did in wisdom, stature and in favor with God and men.
Year established: Christian Academy of Indiana opened its current doors in 2003. (The initial schools, Graceland and Northside Christian Schools, which were merged under Christian Academy, were serving the community from 1969 and 1994 respectively).
Counties/regions serviced: CAI is privileged to serve families throughout Southern Indiana and Kentucky. Students live in the Indiana counties of Floyd, Clark, Harrison, Scott and Washington, as well as Jefferson, Oldham and Bullitt counties in Kentucky.
Focus areas: Christ-centered development of students in their academic, spiritual, artistic, athletic and service-oriented gifts.
Impact in community:
- Christian Academy serves the community by providing families with exceptional and affordable Christian education from Preschool through 12th grade, developing Christian students of character, leadership and knowledge.
- We provide community programs to aid parents (seminars on parenting, youth technology); area youth (sports camps and events) and pastors (school affordability information)
- We provide opportunities for local business to promote themselves on campus (reaching over 45,000 impressions during the school year) and reaching a strong supportive Christian community.
- Students also provide service and mission support to ministries, families, and organizations in need of resources and support. Recent service programs include:
- Support of local ministries with financial support, donations of materials and hands-on service of students. A few of the ministries we have supported include:
- Exit Zero – helping Jeffersonville homeless
- Jacob’s Well in Utica Indiana – support women in Crisis; with recovery/residency programs
- Refuge Louisville – helping refugees from around the world; proving ESL; helping in children’s ministry
- Louisville Rescue Mission – raising funds and food
- Choices for Women -- raising donations and clothes
- Rauch, Inc. – joining in supporting its outreach to the disabled
- Wayside Christian Mission – supporting homeless ministry through our elementary students
- Recognition and support of the Christian community:
- Pastor Appreciation days
- Grandparents Day – celebrating the great generation
- Youth pastor day and provision of free sporting passes
- Providing facilities to aid area churches and ministries
How 1si members can help your organization:
- Spread the news (or ask us to speak) that Indiana makes school choice, including Christian education, affordable to more families
- Provide service opportunities for our students to help others
- Provide media support of the stories of our students, faculty and staff
- Donate to our SGO fund, capital campaign, annual Gala, silent auctions and other scholarship and development opportunities to help our students and make our school even more affordable to more families
- Be a business sponsor to support your business through sports and program sponsorships
Christian Academy of Indiana has been recognized as one of the most exceptional Christian Schools in the country, as well as one of the highest quality schools in Indiana. We have been honored by colleges who have come to see why our students are so well prepared, academically, spiritually and mentally to enjoy and thrive in their college experiences. Our students provide local and international contributions through classroom and extracurricular activities – which include:
• The creation of prosthetic hands by our AP Computer students for use by international amputee children
• Participation in the Global Mission Conference by our STEM students in preparation for how to use their biomedical science training to assist in international medical missions
• Collection of food and other materials during community concerts by our choral and instrumental ensembles
• Neighborhood murals and displays painted by our art students
• Contributions of books and materials to other schools and preschools needing resources
One of the unique aspects of Christian Academy of Indiana is that our students range from preschool through 12th grade. This gives our older students the opportunity to mentor and help younger students while our younger students enjoy interacting with their older role models. As one example, our annual musical performance incorporates students from all grades to perform together and encourage one another.