Non-Profit Spotlight | January 2018 | BBB Consumer Education Fund
This special feature showcases 1si’s non-profit members. Spotlighting members from across the community, 1si’s Non-Profit Member Spotlight reflects the variety of our membership. If you would like to be featured in this section, please fill out the following and return it along with a company logo (JPEG, GIF or PDF format) to Connie Mudd via email at ConnieM@1si.org:
Company Name: BBB Consumer Education Fund
Address: 844 S. 4th Street
City/State/Zip: Louisville, KY 40203
Business Phone: 502-583-6546
Contact Person: Angie Estes
Contact Title: Director of Charity Review
Contact Email: email@example.com
Please use 300 words or less to describe your agency and your impact in the community.
Agency Mission Statement or Description: The BBB’s Consumer Education Fund (CEF) promotes the charitable and educational purposes of the Better Business Bureau serving Louisville, Southern Indiana, and Western Kentucky.
Year established: 1974
Counties/regions serviced: 52 counties covering Louisville, Southern Indiana and Western Kentucky
Focus areas: Consumer Education
Impact in community: Through out programs, we give our community tools to utilize to build a network of educated businesses and consumers.
How 1si members can help your organization: Contact us if you are interested in BBB speaking to your business, community or civic group about scam prevention or other topics. Also, if you’re a golfer, sign up to play in our annual BBB Gold Scramble on Friday, June 8 at Persimmon Ridge. Contact Laura Calhoun at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The BBB’s Consumer Education Fund (CEF) promotes the charitable and educational purposes of the Better Business Bureau serving Louisville, Southern Indiana, and Western Kentucky. Here are a few of the educational programs and services we provide that educate and inform consumers.
• BBB Charity Review Program - To help donors choose a charity wisely, our BBB reviews and develops reports on charities. Nonprofits that meets all of our BBB 20 Standards for Charity Accountability earn the distinction of being an Accredited Charity.
• BBB Storefront in Junior Achievement of Kentuckiana's BizTown - This simulated town allows students to experience the free enterprise system by working in simulated local businesses.
• Consumer Education – BBB has an active speaker’s bureau and conducts community presentations for senior citizen groups, community and civic organizations, and high school students. We want to encourage these groups to take a proactive approach to prevent scams and fraud before they occur. Our staff also participates in consumer expos, business trade shows and local events to interact one-on-one with consumers. Through these efforts, our staff speak to scores of groups and several thousand consumers each year.
• High School Student Scholarship Contest – The CEF supports the BBB Student Video and Poster Scholarship Contest that provides a scholarship opportunity to local students.
• Free Document Shredding & Electronic Recycling Event – The CEF holds this event each October at the Kroger in Middletown.
• Stop Shoplifting Program for First-time Offenders - Through a joint initiative of BBB and the County Attorneys' Offices, this program is an opportunity for first time shoplifting offers to learn about shoplifting and its impact on their lives.
BBB CEF is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Tax ID number 61-0973984. Donations can be sent to BBB CEF, 844 South 4th Street, Louisville, KY 40203.